Sunday, March 15, 2009

Valerie

The first version I heard of this song was not the original, but a cover that I didn't even know was a cover. British musician/DJ Mark Ronson (brother of Lindsay Lohan's girlfriend) put out an record called Version, an album of covers. It's really fun and dancey, and most tracks have superstar guests and are backed by the horn section of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Two really awesome tracks are Oh My God which features Lily Allen, and Pretty Green with Santogold. But my first love off the album was Valerie, with vocals by Amy Winehouse. It's HELLA good with a jazzy motown brass heart and classy soulful American Bandstand beats. Lissen heeeya:



Once I found out it was a cover, I pictured the originator to be a slick early seventies James-Brown-esque character, only to be shocked to discover it was actually done by The Zutons, your average white indie rock band. While I am a bigger fan of Amy and Mark's souled-up version, I don't hate it. Compare for yourself!



MP3: Mark Ronson feat. Lily Allen - Oh My God
MP3: Mark Ronson feat. Santogold - Pretty Green
MP3: Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse - Valerie
MYSPACE: The Zutons - Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment